IPL is domestic cricket tournament but is broadcasted all over the globe. It is one of the top 10 popular sports league in the world. Since its inception, IPL is known for providing the platform for young and talented cricketers to make their mark on world of cricket. We have seen numerous names that have grown in stature with the help of IPL only. Some of these includes Ishan Kishan, Manish Pandey, Madeep Singh, Manan Vohra, Suryakumar Yadav, Sanju Samson, Basil Thampi, Washington Sundar and Mohammed Siraj.
IPL has not only promoted young cricketers but over the years have also established female cricket anchors in the industry. The commentating and broadcasting over the years have been dominated by the male counterparts of these young ladies. There was hardly and female voice that the cricket fans used to hear during the broadcast of the cricket matches. However, in 20018 IPL was started by BCCI and broadcasting rights were given to Sony, who made some of these anchors stars of tomorrow. Also, over the years we have seen either one or 2 female commentators sharing the press box with male cricketers. In IPL 2018 there are as much as 4 female commentators that are voicing their knowledge of the game to the spectators.
ALSO SEE: Duckworth Lewis and its history with IPL
We have seen people like Gaurav Kapoor and mad their name through IPL. Similarly, IPL broadcaster promoted some of the finest young ladies over the year for broadcasting. To name a few, viewers have seen Rochelle Maria Rao, Pallavi Sharda, Karishma Kotak, Shonali Nagrani, Mayanti Langer, Lekha Washington, Mandira Bedi, Archana Vijaya and Shibani Dandekar get onto the cricket field and provide the news and views to the fans of the game. Many of these ladies went onto become a constant figure in the cricketing dais. Today, Mayanti Langer, wife of Indian cricketer Stuart Binny is one of the prominent hosts of cricketing events on Star Sports. Similarly, Archna Vijay also continued her work in the field and has been part of IPL for many years.
In IPL 2018, Star Sports have roped in some of the glamorous ladies to cover the tournament. One such name in the list is of Paloma Rao. Many viewers must have seen for the first time on Indian Television, but she is not new to this business and have some prior experience of hosting cricketing events. She is a prominent figure in the Tamil Sports industry and has been working with Star Sports Tamil for broadcasting content for Tamil fans. Some of the unknown facts about the glamourous anchor;
ALSO SEE: The New Captains of IPL 2018
- She was born in Chennai on 4th February 1986. Her younger sister Rochelle Rao is also a TV presenter and anchor. Like Paloma, Rochelle was part of IPL in the 2017 season where she shared the TV screen with another budding Indian actress Pallavi Sharda.
- Paloma has a degree in Bachelor of Science – Visual Communication from the prestigious Loyola College in Chennai. The anchor has experience as a VJ and RJ.
- Her journey as Video Jockey was started back in 2004 when she worked with SS Music and hosted some of the popular shows of that time like First Frame, Just Connect and Autograph. Her career since then has propelled in the world of television and media through many other assignments.
- She has worked in 2 acclaimed films as well. Her first impression on the big screen came in “Unnale Unnale” which became an ultimate hit on box office in 2007 and worked with people like Tanisha Mukherjee. The movie was produced in Tamil. Her first English movie came in the form of “That Four-Letter Word” in the same year, 2007.
- Nowadays, Paloma is a Radio Jockey on Chennai Live 104.8 FM where she hosts a Live Café. She also writes blogs and weekly columns for the tabloid indulge of The New Indian Express.
- She is the popular face in the Tamil Sports broadcasting and was seen hosting various sports shows for Star Sports Tamil. Before this career, she started as the theatre artists and had plans to do something in that sector.
- Her debut as an anchor for Cricketing events began in 2016 when she hosted for Tamil Nadu Premier League (TNPL). Apart from this, she has also hosted events for ICC Champions Trophy in 2017 for Start Sports Tamil.
- Paloma revealed that like many Chennai fans, her favorite sports person or rather a cricketer is none other than Mahendra Singh Dhoni and she would like to interview former Indian cricketer in future.
- Apart from her liking in the cricketing field, she also boasts her liking about her celebrity crush. He is none other than the Hollywood famed actor Tom Cruise.